Most Read Local Stories of 2011
The most read news to come out of Manchester and Lakehurst in 2011
Below, you'll find a list of the top ten most read stories on Manchester Patch in 2011. Of the articles, six involve reports of fatal and serious accidents on local roadways — a reminder that we should all try to stay safe while driving in the new year.
1. Groom, Mother Arrested at Lakehurst Wedding Reception — A groom and his mother were among the three arrested at a wedding reception that became out of hand at a Lakehurst restaurant and banquet hall in September.
2. Two Dead In Head-On Collision on Route 70 — Route 70 in Manchester Township near Beckerville Road was the site of a fatal head-on collision in mid-December
3. UPDATE: MTHS Student Who Died After Suffering Cardiac Arrest Identified — A 14-year-old Manchester Township High School student died after suffering cardiac arrest in late-September.
4. Friday Evening Collision Kills Two Along Route 70 — A three-car crash along Route 70 Friday evening claimed two lives and sent four to the hospital in October.
5. Woman 'Critical' After Car Snaps Pole — An 84-year-old Ewing woman was listed in critical condition at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune after the car she was in hit a tree at the corner of Route 70 and Beckerville Road in August.
6. Monday Night Crash Closes Portion of Route 70, Driver Charged with DUI — A portion of Route 70 was closed in early-September after a Pennsylvania man who was allegedly driving under the influence struck a utility pole along the state highway.
7. Police Confirm Fatal Car Accident Near Joint Base — Manchester Police investigated a fatal June accident near Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst on County Road 547.
8. Christie: 'I'm Going to Go Home and Get a Little Sleep' — As he headed home on a late-July night from Somerset Medical Center, Gov. Chris Christie said it was the first time in more than 20 years he needed to go to the hospital for his asthma.
9. UPDATE: Route 37 Cleared Following Morning Crash Near Commonwealth BoulevardTraffic along Route 37 near Commonwealth Boulevard was snarled in August as emergency responders cleared the scene of a morning crash in which three were injured.
10. SHELTER LIST: Which Facilities Remain Open — A resource during Hurricane Irene for those who were required to evacuate to safety.