Some good news in the heart of winter in Manchester and Lakehurst: Friday (Jan. 18) marks the beginning of the annual Girl Scout Cookies sale.
Girl Scouts will begin selling Thin Mints, Caramel deLites, Shortbreads, Peanut Butter Patties, Lemonades, Thanks-A-Lots and Peanut Butter Sandwiches. All revenue from cookie sales goes directly to local troops, helping them raise money for special activities, field trips and service products.
Local troop leaders also integrate the cookie sale program into teaching girls goal-setting, decision-making, money management, people skills and ethics.
Here's want you need to know about Girl Scout Cookies sale this year:
- This year, the price of cookies will be $4 per box.
- New this year: Mango Crèmes with Nutrafusion, described as: "A tangy, refreshing tropical treat packed with great taste AND vitamins! Crunchy vanilla and coconut cookies feature a mango-flavored crème filling with all the nutrient benefits of eating cranberries, pomegranates, oranges, grapes, and strawberries."
- Sales start on Jan. 18 in the Manchester area. Girls can sell door-to-door if accompanied by an adult.
- While cookie time lasts only through late February, cookies have a long shelf time and freeze well.
- If you are not a cookie fan or are planning on sticking to your New Year's diet, many troops are participating in service projects that allow you to buy cookies for Troops serving overseas or another local organization.
- To find cookies nearby, visit the cookie booth locator at www.girlscoutcookies.org or download the free mobile "Cookie Finder" app available for Android and Apple devices.