While Manchester Patch already highlighted some of the to make news in 2011, we also wanted to take a look at what articles drew the most attention from readers.
Below, you'll find a list of the top ten most read stories on Manchester Patch in 2011. Of the articles, six involve reports of fatal and serious accidents on local roadways — a reminder that we should all try to stay safe while driving in the new year.
1. — A groom and his mother were among the three arrested at a wedding reception that became out of hand at a Lakehurst restaurant and banquet hall in September.
2. — Route 70 in Manchester Township near Beckerville Road was the site of a fatal head-on collision in mid-December
3. — A 14-year-old student died after suffering cardiac arrest in late-September.
4. — A three-car crash along Route 70 Friday evening claimed two lives and sent four to the hospital in October.
5. — An 84-year-old Ewing woman was listed in critical condition at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune after the car she was in hit a tree at the corner of Route 70 and Beckerville Road in August.
6. — A portion of Route 70 was closed in early-September after a Pennsylvania man who was allegedly driving under the influence struck a utility pole along the state highway.
7. — Manchester Police investigated a fatal June accident near Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst on County Road 547.
8. — As he headed home on a late-July night from Somerset Medical Center, Gov. Chris Christie said it was the first time in more than 20 years he needed to go to the hospital for his asthma.
9. Traffic along Route 37 near Commonwealth Boulevard was snarled in August as emergency responders cleared the scene of a morning crash in which three were injured.
10. — A resource during Hurricane Irene for those who were required to evacuate to safety.