From Ocean County, Four Centuries in the Making, by Pauline S. Miller:
In Whiting, "Presbyterians bought a 1,000-square-foot tract of land from Benjamin F. Errington and his wife, Mary, E., on Aug. 20, 1875. Errington and Thomas Rae, who had filed a development tract for this parcel, deeded it for a church on Franklin Avenue (now known as Route 530). The church was built on bricks that came from the nearby Torrey Brick Yard. A little more than a quarter century later, in 1903, it became St. John's Methodist Episcopal Church of Whiting."