Looking for something to do locally this weekend? Check out these nearby events and feel free to contribute your own, either in the comments section below or on our events calendar.
1. A ceremony honoring fallen U.S. Marine Cpl. Nicholas Ott will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday on Colonial Drive near the entrance to Manchester Township High School and across from the Wells Fargo bank. Then, at 9 a.m., the Nick's (S)Mile of Quarters event kicks off at the high school, with registration beginning at 8:30 a.m.
2. Over 75 homes will participate in the Crestwood Village V garage sale on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Maps showing participating homes will be available at the club house, 325 Schoolhouse Rd., from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. A raindate of Sept. 29 has been set.
3. A softball fundraiser to benefit local teen Matt Michalski, who suffers from Dysautonomia, will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday at the township's Little League complex on Route 571. Residents are encouraged to purchase food from vendors and participate in a 50/50 raffle.
4. Fall programs are in swing at the Robert J. Novins Planetarium at Ocean County College in Toms River throughout the weekend. Among the shows are "Legends of the Night Sky: Perseus and Andromeda" and "Exploring the Fall Sky." For the complete schedule and ticket pricing, visit the planetarium's website.
5. The Music with Friends: Musical Fun for Kids with Autism program will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday at Manchester's branch of the Ocean County Library. Children ages 6 through 9 and their parents are welcome. More information is available by calling 732-657-7600.