Multiple crews responded to a residence Wednesday afternoon and suppressed a shed fire before it could spread to a home on the property.
Patrolman Iain James responded to the home at 510 Chestnut street at 1:57 p.m. after police received a 911 call for a shed that was "fully engulfed," said Sgt. Ronald Heinzman in a statement.
Flames and heat from the shed, which was near the home, nearly ignited the rear porch, the sergeant said.
"The quick efforts of the [Lakehurst Volunteer Fire Company] contributed to minimal damage to the home as well as saving the home," Heinzman said.
The fire appears to have been accidentally caused by a cigarette, according to Heinzman. The sergeant did not report any injuries.
Fire crews from Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst and Whiting also responded. Officials from the Ocean County Fire Marshal's and Prosecutor's Office were at the scene, Heinzman said.
James and the county fire marshal's office are investigating the blaze, Heinzman said.