.

Pine Lake Park Home Uninhabitable After Weekend Blaze

Fire contained to a bedroom; home deemed uninhabitable

A weekend house fire in Manchester's Pine Lake Park section that sent a township woman to the hospital with minor injuries is believed to have started in a bedroom, police said. 

Police patrol units responded to the 26 Savannah Road home at about 8:45 a.m. Sunday after receiving a report of a fire. When they arrived, "smoke was visible from the second story window and rooftop," said Manchester Police Capt. Lisa Parker. 

Responders from the Manchester Volunteer Fire Department "extinguished and isolated" the blaze in the bedroom belonging to Eric Serafin, Parker said, where "multiple" extension cords and candles were found.

Both of the home's residents, Eric and Kathleen Serafin, were able to exit the house without the help of emergency responders. Kathleen Serafin was then transported to Community Medical Center in Toms River for minor smoke inhalation treatment, Parker said. 

Ocean County Deputy Fire Marshal Brian Mount at this time has determined that the fire was "accidental/negligent," according to Parker.

The township's Code Enforcement Officer, Don Cain, deemed the home uninhabitable and JCP&L removed the electric meter from the home, according to Parker. 

barbara July 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM
so sad, but glad they are ok.
Amanda Wood July 02, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Should get more info for donations!! I had a house fire 2 years ago Mothers Day due to a faulty furnace.. We have 3 small children and thanks to donations, we were up and running in a new rental house in about a month!!
Kasey Serafin July 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM
You know what would really help me - Make Manchester a place where people under 55 can rent and live happily. Thank you for your well wishes.... I'm trying ...
James Sheridan July 16, 2012 at 03:38 PM
OOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Kathy! Starting bedroom fires at YOUR age! That's just innappropriate!!
Kasey Serafin July 16, 2012 at 05:52 PM
James, it was not a joke. It was a tragic and serious thing. I didn't have anything to do with it. It was accidentally started in Eric's room with a window air conditioner and an extension cord. Unfortunately, we were all displaced by his carelessness.
WhitingBoy July 16, 2012 at 06:18 PM
@Kasey....what the heck does <i>"You know what would really help me - Make Manchester a place where people under 55 can rent and live happily. "</i>???
Kasey Serafin July 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM
WhitingBoy, 85 % of Manchester is senior living. Manchester is a great place to raise a family but if you don't own a house, there is only the senior communities that rent. That's all that ment.......
pie love January 14, 2013 at 06:01 AM
I wonder whie dose evry thing happin to pine lake ??? Like i ur looking at this in 2013 u know all of the fires in decenber ...poor famly that lost that lost thair house on cristmas eve:'( :-(
pie love January 14, 2013 at 06:08 AM
:-( :'( :'( :-( :-( :-) :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-) :-) 4that thare ok:-( cuz it happened

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something