Trick or treat in Manchester has been postponed until Monday, Nov. 5, township police announced.
With power still out in some areas and debris on the ground, township officials decided it would be better to wait a few extra days to hold the annual door-to-door tradition. Manchester officials had rescheduled trick or treat for Saturday, before Gov. Chris Christie signed an executive order moving it to Monday in the wake of Hurricane Sandy's devastation.
"There are still main portions in the township that are without power," said Chief of Police Brian Klimakowski. "We think having a few extra days will help with the clean up."
Moving the date also stays consistent with the governor's order, Klimakowski said. Though towns that had moved trick-or-treating to a day other than Oct. 31 could have kept their plans, state officials suggested Monday instead.
"I’ve taken this action to minimize additional risks to lives and the public safety as we begin the process of rebuilding and recovering from Hurricane Sandy," Christie said in a statement issued earlier this week.
Hours for trick or treat in Manchester are 12 to 9 p.m., the chief said.